Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Home Sweet Home - well, almost...

We made it safely to UNC this afternoon. The transport team was excellent and took great care of Brett. Although we received excellent care in the other hospitals, there's no place like home when it comes to health care. Triangle area friends, did you realize that UNC Health Care is committed to caring for the citizens of North Carolina, no matter where you may be at the moment? If they have a bed available and there is not a higher priority case, they will come get your child by ground or air and bring you back to Chapel Hill for treatment. They have ambulances, helicopters, and even some jets are available that can be dispatched to retrieve patients from across the country if needed.
The transport team's words were, "We'll go anywhere to get our kids!" That is very comforting to me, as a parent of a child who is chronically ill. Also, if your child has some sort of accident or trauma or sudden illness while you are away, they will come get you if they can. They would have even come to Snowshoe to get us but there was not a bed available last night, so we went on to Roanoke until one opened up this morning. It worked out fine, though, because both transports were a pretty long drive.

Packing up to leave Carilion

Ready to Go!


Cute Brett with the RT on the transport team. They gave him a little Pediatric Transport Team teddy bear you can see on the gurney. It's very cute!

The North Carolina Children's Promise campaign raised the money needed to purchase this awesome transport truck. It was so cool! It is a worthy cause to give to - any of our NC children might need it one day. It is equipped to give full care to the patient. It has a generator that could provide power to a small house in case the truck is broken down and the patient still needs a ventilator or any other machine that requires electricity to function. Oh, and the all-important DVD player in the back so the kids can watch a movie in transport!


Good ol' Franklin Street


Unloading at UNC

It was such a great feeling to be walking in the doors of this emergency department! Almost like crossing the finish line. Never thought that is a sentence I would ever say...



My good friend Judy came over to UNC tonight and let me have a respite from 24/7 bedside sitting. It was nice to have a break and to get to drive her sporty 5-speed to Walgreens and back, even if it was in the rain. Thank you, Judy! The rest of the family enjoyed their last day of skiing. Mark is already skiing black diamonds. I guess I'll have to really work on my skills in order to keep up with him. I'm scared to go on blacks. It is wearing Rob out to try and keep up with Mark. I guess he'll need a vacation from the vacation when he gets home!

Thank you everyone for the comments both here and on Facebook and for letting me know you are keeping up here and there. Although I was quite surprised to see a comment from one of the docs who cared for Brett last night in Roanoke. I am now in suspense, wondering how you got connected to my blog, Dr. Hull! Please tell!

6 comments:

  1. Way to go for Mark! Guess you will have to take him out west next...black diamond out west is a bit different than on the east coast. :) Though maybe you don't want to encourage him anymore....or have to chase him down any bigger hills! ;) So glad everyone else finished the vacation w/o incident.
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this post almost makes me cry! I can not tell you how many times we have been in Alabama and my kids got sick or almost injured and I couldn't help but worry, b/c the health care there is not, well...let's just say it is not very good. I am SO glad to read about how wonderful these people are to you, that you can still travel with out having to worry about your health care!! What a blessing that is! We have been praying for you guys and will continue to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way...I read this all the time, usually withing moments of your posting! I have subscribed, so I get it through my reader, I just always forget to click over and comment! I will try to do better, b/c I no one EVER comments on our blogs anymore!! I will try to remember to come over :) Google reader is for sure a bitter sweet thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad BB's first family vacation was cut short, but I am glad he is back home at UNC. You and Rob are amazing parents. Brett is very blessed. I will be there for him and you as fast as I can. Thank you for such a detailed storyline. Love, GG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,
    So glad you and Brett made it back safely to Chapel Hill! UNC is the best! We really are thankful too that GOd has placed us so close to such a wealth of care and knowledge in helping sick kiddos! I think that they need to use your blog posts for some good media!!
    Love you guys and will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! it's encouraging to read how God has surrounded you with so many helpful, caring people AND medical personnel!! After your praising of the NC system there may be a huge influx of people moving there!!

    I'm glad to know that Mark is thoroughly enjoying his vacation and has proven to be a pro on the slopes!! I never could get the hang of skiing so I'm really impressed!

    I'm grateful that Mark is once more responding well to the treatment and pray that you will all soon be home.

    Much love,
    carolyn

    ReplyDelete