Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Events of the Day and a Good Video of Mark


I haven't written anything about G lately, so I thought I'd post this pic just to let you know he's still doing well! He's plugging along and growing really, really tall! We enjoy his observant mind and his spirit of adventure! He (and Brett, of course) turned 11 months old yesterday.

Mark LOVED skiing. As you can imagine, he can't wait to go back again. Everyone made it back safely, and Mark starts back to school tomorrow, as winter break is over now. And my sitter sorely needs a day off. She's worked 24/7 since 6am last Saturday morning, bless her heart! If any of you WF friends want to help out with Gantt next week, please let me know!


Here's a good video Rob made of Mark flying - I mean, skiing, down the mountain.

As for Brett, we're now on day 3 of his 5th hospitalization (I'm not counting that one night in February), and are beginning to get a few answers - maybe - about why Brett is sick. It appears to be another septic episode, although that isn't totally confirmed yet. Two blood cultures have been positive for a gram positive cocci, likely staph. It is likely another line infection, but we need to wait for the final results on the blood cultures.

Last night we discovered his first hypersensitivity reaction to a medication. He contracted Red man syndrome from the antibiotic Vancomycin, which has been added to cover that bacteria that is in his blood. (He is also on his "regular" antibiotics, Tobramycin and Cefepime.) For me, this meant that just as all seemed settled last night and I was about to go to bed (or should I say - go to air mattress!) he began screaming all of a sudden. I went over to him immediately, and because it was dark all I could see was white over his forehead and eyes. I turned on the light and he was bright red and splotchy with bumps coming up on his forehead. His entire torso was swollen and bright red and his diaper area was bright red. I called the nurse and all I could get out was, "Something's not right!" She went to get Benadryl immediately and called the doctor to come talk to me about it. He calmed down after about 15 minutes and was able to go back to sleep comfortably. This doesn't mean that he can't use the medication - it just means that he must have a dose of Benadryl beforehand, and the infusion must run longer - over an hour and a half instead of 30 minutes, for example.

Later I discovered that this isn't a rare occurrence - it is a fairly common reaction. I am quite disappointed that the doctors who decided he should get Vanc for the first time did not relay that information to me so that I could be more prepared if it were to happen. I would certainly not have been as frightened when it did happen.

Otherwise, we had a great day! Since Brett is not currently on contact or droplet precautions, he was able to attend baby playgroup today. He loved all the toys - and I found out that you can "check out" toys to bring to your room while you're here. I was glad because he's getting pretty bored. With the medical support he's receiving, he actually feels great! So you can imagine with all the activity at home, how bored he is when he's here and feeling good. There are only so many times you can watch Baby Einstein, right? We got a mobile and a little piano and a few other little handheld toys he can bang together.


Brett at playgroup


1 comment:

  1. 11 months?!?! Seriously? how did that happen! WOW!

    ReplyDelete