Monday, March 1, 2010

Made it to Roanoke


Carilion Children's Clinic
Roanoke, Virginia

Brett and I made it safely to Carilion Children's Clinic in Roanoke, Virginia this evening by ambulance transport. Grandpa followed behind us and helped us check in and get settled. Our UNC doc talked with the doctor in the ER at Pocahontas and told him what treatment to start, so at least even though we aren't home, these folks are all following the wishes of the folks who care for Brett at home. I was surprised that even though Pocahontas was small and they weren't equipped to give Brett long-term care, they did what they needed to do to stabilize him and get him ready for transport. They did it efficiently, also. They were all very, very nice. They also thanked me for being patient with them - although I thought I did nothing special - they must get some rude people in there. I knew that although they didn't have all the tools and equipment needed, they used what they had and they were doing their best with my son, and I appreciated that. The transport team from Carilion was great, and I enjoyed their company on the ride down. Brett did great, also. He never cried the whole way - just stayed away looking around and interacting with the ladies in the back. I had to sit up front with the driver.


Children's Miracle Network donated this ambulance


Loading up for the 2 1/2 hour trip

Rob and Mark are still skiing at Snowshoe, and Gantt also stayed at Snowshoe also with our sitter, Brittny. Grandpa will drive back in the morning and they plan to finish out the vacation as planned. I am thankful I got to ski at least one day and we had a great time with Mark. Last night at dinner our dessert was s'mores tableside! They brought this container of sorts with fire and we actually roasted marshmallows at the table and made the s'mores. Mark LOVED it. Brett and I will await transport to UNC based on bed availability. Right now all beds on the peds floor are full. That could change at any time; however, Brett is not priority right now based on the fact that he is already in a hospital getting care. If some sick kids come into UNC, they will get bed priority. So we might be leaving in the morning, and we might be hanging out at Carilion for a few days, which would be fine, too. We just go with the flow, remembering to be faithful where we are, and we're at Carilion right now! You just never know who you might meet and what God might have in store with those relationships! If we stay here another day, I might even get to see a friend who lives 2 miles away from the hospital I haven't seen in many many years!



Arriving at Carilion


Grandpa and Brett at Carilion

As far as Brett's problems and treatment, based on the chest x-ray it looks like just another of his lung infections. Same treatment, same deal. IV antibiotics and oxygen. Check back tomorrow for more news.

And by the way, you CAN comment on this blog!! For a while I thought nobody was reading this because nobody ever commented on my posts (except Tara and Leslie). Then I run across people who ask me why I haven't posted in awhile, and others who I never knew were following tell me that they've read every post! Come on people! I might stop if I don't know you're reading!! And one friend told me she was my self-proclaimed blog stalker - you can come out of the closet now! LOL see y'all tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the scoop! It makes me so sad to see him not feeling well. So frustrating that he has another infection already. Glad you are getting good care and seem to be in good spirits about the whole situation.
    ~Leslie

    ...leading the way...come on the rest of you...go ahead and comment!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i for one, enjoy reading about teh progress and am so proud of the way you are rolling with it... God is equipping you and showing up supernaturally and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys got to go to Monticello...it's a fascinating place! (I haven't commented because I thought the comments weren't getting through, so I'll try again :-)

    You guys are such a testimony of putting everything in to God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do read your posts on here, Jennifer! I'm glad you have such a great perspective on where you end up, that God may have someone for you to meet at a hospital in VA. I'm praying for you and Brett and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the kudos, we really enjoyed taking care of Brett! - Dr Hull

    ReplyDelete