Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hospitalization #12 - Day 1


After stopping antibiotics on Monday, we didn't even make it until our scheduled appointment today at 1:00. This morning Brett woke up with a slight fever, and by 9:00 it was at 101.5. I went ahead and contacted Brett's doctor, and used what I have named "call ahead bedding" (kind of like "call ahead seating"at restaurants!) They had a bed ready right away, so we were able to bypass clinic as well as the emergency room.


When we were admitted, Brett got all the usual tests - blood from his port, peripheral blood from his arm, a viral panel, weight, and 2 rectal temps. The viral swab (which is very uncomfortable) had to be done twice because it was spilled. He felt worse as the afternoon went on, and tonight his temperature reached 103. As soon as the blood culture was taken he was put back on IV antibiotics, so he ought to be feeling better in the next 24 hours. Tomorrow he will probably get another echocardiogram on his heart to check for "vegetation" - settling of the staph infection on his heart. Once the blood cultures show something definitive, the docs will begin discussing a treatment plan.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no, Jennifer. I'm so sorry! I was praying that this wouldn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! :( I was really hoping that it would be all positive progress from here on out. Praying for the best case scenario...whatever that might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I was praying and very hopeful for different results! Will be praying this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the others, I'm so sorry that Brett is down again. Of course, my prayers are with you all!

    ReplyDelete