Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pneumonia


Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs caused by an infection. Many different organisms can cause it, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Pneumonia is a common illness that affects millions of people each year in the United States. The symptoms of pneumonia range from very mild to very severe, even fatal. The severity depends on the type of organism causing pneumonia as well as the age and underlying health of the individual.

Not a bad day today. Brett is feeling better, but still coughing a lot and requiring oxygen. The nasal swab viral panels have not come back yet. The blood cultures are still negative for bacteria growth, so that is major good news!! 

6 comments:

  1. My youngest has viral induced asthma, so she gets pneumonia about once a year - nothing like what you are going through, but I never really looked it up in this much detail before. You are going to be ready for med school soon! Hope Brett feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know when the results of the viral panels will be back?

    Still praying. I'll check in early tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Rob and I already feel like we've gotten quite the education this past year!

    My nurses have been checking for the viral panels all day. I can't wait to get out of these gowns and masks. Hopefully it will be back overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,
    I'm just now getting around to checking my blog feeds from the past week and read about little Brett! I'm so glad to hear he's been diagnosed and is feeling better. We will plan on getting Mark tomorrow. We're not going to church for supper, but he's welcome to stay as long as it would be helpful. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1-Is the guy in the model Tiger Woods? lol
    2-Yay no bacteria! Pneumonia is no fun but glad he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it looked like Tiger Woods, too!

    ReplyDelete