Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Royal Wedding

While I was not crazy interested enough to get up at 4am and watch the royal wedding (like several of my friends did), I did set the DVR!

I watched it Saturday night after the twins were in the bed along with my mom and Mark. So Mark is almost 8 now, and I think the only wedding he's been to is his uncle David and aunt Kim, which was --almost 4 years ago? Mom and I were cracking up at his commentary as he watched and we tried to explain things. Try explaining royalty and heads of state and wedding rituals to an 8 year old boy. When you break it down to something that seems understandable, it certainly begins to sound silly! Oh, the things we humans make up in this life - but that is for sure another post for another day.

Here are Mark's questions and observations and thoughts:

1. Why her dress too big? Asked over and over.  From Mom:
It was a hoot answering mark's many questions. One was why is her dress too big. As i tried to explain it is actually a gown and they all have big skirts and trains. He thought for a bit and then asked his mama if they didn't have sizes on those dresses like small, medium, large.

2. Why is Harry's hair crazy?

3. Mom, did you have a carriage ride at your wedding? Actually, I did have a carriage ride the night of our wedding. It wasn't planned, but they have those horse and carriages in the streets of downtown Atlanta, and I was still in my wedding dress and Rob still in his tux. I told him people were not lined up there to see me, but when they saw we were bride and groom, people clapped and cheered and I waved back as if I were famous. I really did feel like a princess!

3. I didn't know weddings were so LONG and BORING
(We did fast forward quite a lot!)

After all was said and done, Mark asked incredulously, "we watched all that just so we could see them KISS?!?!?!" Well...yes.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 05, 2011

    What a fun night. I barely remember Diana's wedding but will always remember Kate's wedding simply because of Mark's funny input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all 'eager' to watch the ceremony - much less go out of my way for it, it was ALL that was on that particular morning.

    Therefore, I got my coffee and tried to get awake. By the time I was awake good, they were getting into the final formalities just prior to the ceremony. So I said,'what the heck, I've seen this much - may as well see it all."

    The ceremony itself was VERY impressive to me! I was totally shocked as how much Christianity was placed in their vows . .and with Kate's brother's reading from Romans. . .Just hope they can and will live up to those vows.

    Mark's questions cracked me up! Oh don't we wish we could keep those little minds so pure and innocent???? Nah . .they'd look funny as adults with clean, pure minds . .couldn't make it in this world! (smiley fae)

    ReplyDelete