Thursday, March 24, 2011

Keystone Day 3

Bridge to the village

Ok, so day #3. We slept in again, and took our boots down to get adjusted again once the guy said he'd be coming in at 11. Then we had lunch while we waited on the adjustments. But in between that we had to make a stop at the little grocery store for BENADRYL because what I haven't said yet is that for the past few days I'd been enduring an itchy skin rash. Over Thursday evening and Friday morning, however, it spread like wildfire from head to toe and the itch was extremely intense!! It was as if the itch was actually under my skin, so rubbing/scratching the skin still didn't even bring temporary relief. 


The village

I took the Benadryl right away to get it in my system ASAP. After lunch Rob went to ski some more challenging runs that I wasn't going to do anyway while I took the shuttle up to the medical center and saw a doctor. I will spare you the photos of the rash. At this point it was visible on my ears and on my forehead, but the worst parts were my torso, back, and feet. It looked horrible and I thought for sure my skin would be scarred. The doctor told me to keep on taking the Benadryl and the steroids would make me more comfortable in about 24 hours. After dealing with all that, I had no desire to do any more skiing, so we relaxed for the remainder of the day. 

But we enjoyed our last day of rest and had great food that night!

I had Alaskan halibut


And Rob tried elk for the first time

As promised, the steroids did their job and the itch completely stopped. By the time we made it home late Saturday night the spots were almost gone. Amazing. I took the pills, tapering off for 7 days. The doctor there chalked it up to uticaria, but one doctor here at home said it could've been a virus since it came on slowly and not suddenly like an allergy would. I pray it never happens again.

They adjusted our boots one more time before we left the next day. The adjustments have to be made a tiny little bit at a time, so this is evidently a common thing, having to go back to the shop again. But they are devoted to getting it right at Surefoot, as many times as it takes. So, most of our time there ended up being spent right in the boot shop. And I didn't even get a picture of it!! But I think it will be worth it next time we go skiing. The shop is franchised and the boots are guaranteed so we don't have to pay for adjustments, ever. Another skiier told us that the warming bags they sell are great. You put the boots the bag and plug in the bag, and it heats your boots all night. In the morning, the hard plastic and foam becomes soft and pliable, and your foot supposedly slides right in comfortably. We hope to try again next season!

Goodbye, Colorado!

2 comments:

  1. I'm seriously disappointed there were no rash pics! ;)

    Glad to hear the report on the boots and that you can keep going back for free till they are "just right". That warming thing sounds like a good deal if it works as described!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a few of those rash photos. Not a pretty sight. It always makes me sad when circumstances upset my little girl's wonderful life. But the photos are gorgeous. Even though you were blotchy, itchy, and miserable, at least you were in good company (Rob) and surrounded by some of God's best handiwork.

    ReplyDelete